Monday, April 21, 2014

Waiting for Tuesday...

Since the boatyard can't get to my engine replacement until tomorrow morning, I decided to touch two other "must do before splash" projects; the rudder & mast.

You see, the object is to get the boat back in the water and move it to a nearby marina. Right now, I am having to drive 25 miles one way to work on the boat. That's 50 miles round trip and I'm driving over about four or five times per week. That's 200 to 250 miles per week and my car only gets about 16 to 17 mpg. That's $47 to $59 bucks per week... that's $188 to $236 per month! (My calculator is functioning just fine). Plus, Indiantown, FL, where the boat is located, doesn't even have a hardware store. So when I unexpectedly need something for a project, I have to make another trip or put the item(s) on the shopping list and the project has to be suspended until the item(s) is/are purchased. The boat needs to be closer, so first priority projects are ones necessary to launch her and move her within 8 miles. Plus, I can liveaboard when she is ready.

The rudder was partially reworked when I bought the boat. I continued the job today, reinforcing the edge of the rudder with epoxy under/over woven mat. One more good sanding, priming, and painting and she'll be ready to remount.

The mast is painted and just needed the wenches and hardware reinstalled. I was able to do most of it today but ran out of time. To be continued...

Here's the pics... (oh yeah, one pic is of my helping hand).

















Fair seas and God bless!


2 comments:

  1. Looking good. I have a question about the weight of the rudder? Someday ill take mine off and do as your are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I'm guessing my rudder weighs around 75 to 100 lbs. but I think it has been reworked before. It's very heavy at the top but lighter on the part that goes under water. It's more awkward than heavy.

      Hope that helps. Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete