Thursday, May 8, 2014

Stopping to "Smell the Roses"

Almost every evening I'm free or can finagle the time, I'm working on the boat. Tonight, I decided to take a night off and "Smell the Roses".  

There's a dog beach nearby and I decided since my best friend, Fuji, has been so patient with the boat refit, (he suffers the heat while I refit the boat... actually, he lays in front of a fan and sleeps... but... he goes and waits), I decided to take him to the beach.

The word, "Ride" always gets him excited, but when he saw me get the leash, he knew there was something special about this ride

When we arrived at the beach, it was completely deserted. I took him off the leash and he immediately ceased to be ten years old and became a young puppy again. When I first met Fuji, he was very young, (maybe a year or two), he was very strong, and he was running enthusiastically through mud a foot deep toward the river on Tybee Island, GA. I couldn't help but like him from that day on... he was so happy and full of life - he still is, though age is starting to catch up with him, (10 years old this past week). Tonight, he became that enthusiastic-happy-full of life puppy again! He made me laugh out loud!

The refit of the boat is very important to me but I have to say, it was nice to stop and "Smell the Roses".

[To the die-hard boat re-fitters and sailors that follow this blog, forgive my departure from the theme...back to work tomorrow night. But isn't the whole point of cruising to stop, slow down, and smell the roses?]

"First things first...I claim this beach in the name of Fuji"
"My Beach! My Beach!"
"Wow, MY beach is big!"
"...and wet!"
"...and big!"


"Look dad, I'm running on water"
"The water taste funny...YUCK!"
Attacking the waves

"Whoops! BIG Wave...I meant to do that."

"Pulling out my Snoopy dance"



"Hope I can stay like this... IT'S COOL!"
"Because I'm Happy..." (riding home)
[Also, forgive my dog commentary but I know him well enough to know that I'm close to what he's thinking if dogs could think in words - lol].

Fair seas and God bless!



No comments:

Post a Comment