Saturday, August 16, 2014

Call Me Crazy!

Call me crazy but I decided the vinyl flooring wasn't going to cut it. I know, it looked fine but it didn't provide the rigidity that a hardwood floor would have, as well as the glue question, (would it hold up if exposed to a considerable amount of water which is always a possibility on a sailboat). Also, the floor hatches that provide access to the water tanks need hardwood on them to shore them up and provide the strength I want for the floor I'll be walking on everyday.

So, I caught Hardwood Bamboo flooring on sale, (less than $100 bucks), and decided to pick it up and put it down. It's going right over the vinyl flooring so the vinyl flooring will act as both an insulator and a waterproof barrier for the plywood sole. Each plank will be held in place with six 1 1/2" screws, two on each end and two in the middle of full size planks.


















Fair seas and God bless!


8 comments:

  1. Yep, You're crazy but looks like you already knew that. lol

    That one does look better, I think. Maybe it's me but the vinyl one looks a little light in color. The new one looks right for the boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! LOL...Well, it's not the first time I've done the same job twice on this boat. BUT... The hardwood feels so much more solid and I also like the color as well.

      It's really a given... I own a boat... CRAZY! lol.

      Thanks for following Dan.

      Delete
    2. yeah, I have people thinking I'm crazy for owning a boat too. At least we have a good support group of other owners. lol

      Delete
  2. It looks great David. That's the beauty of these boats, you can do whatever you want. I'm big on thinking out of the box and innovative solutions that don't use the conventional "advice".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Werner,

      Well, my thinking outside the box is mainly about money...I don't have much. Teak and Holly = $18-$23 PSF... Bamboo Hardwood Flooring from Home Depot = 1.88 PSF.

      I should rename her to "Home Depot"... Maybe Home depot should sponsor me...lol.

      Thanks for following Werner.

      Delete
    2. Your tribute to Home Depot could be an orange stripe going down the length of each side.

      Delete
    3. Dan... I like it! Big orange strip... lol. Actually, Home Depot should have a picture of my boat painted on their stores... I'm keeping them in business. :)

      Delete
    4. How about orange decks? :-)
      http://www.sailnet.com/forums/members/kjango-albums-boats-picture11626-fin.html

      Delete