Friday, October 10, 2014

Figuring It Out...

There are many things about refitting a boat that I do not understand and/or know how to do. Actually, most things fall into that category but I am determined to learn as much as I can and to understand how everything on my vessel works.

Electrical has to be one of the hardest things I have come across yet in the refit of my Westsail 32. The professional marine electrician met with me, pointed out everything I needed, and said he would be back when I got all the parts. Well, I got all the parts, but now he is busy all next week! So, I'm doing most everything myself. The parts of hooking up the panel I don't understand, I will have ready for him to connect when he gets free. Actually, this works out well... I am forced to learn the system and it saves me money.

I've run the 1/0 AWG wiring with a 300 Amp ANL. I've mounted the Pro Mariner 63130 Pronautic 1210P 12V30A Battery Charger and will wire it up tomorrow. I've hotwired the panel and hooked up the spreader lights and the underwater lights and tested them... check!

So, I'm figuring it out as I go. Still have a lot to do but we'll get there Lord willing.


A little dusty... but working

Still need shelves in the engine room... another project.








BTW... the rain has stopped! Hooray!
Fair seas and God bless!


6 comments:

  1. I need a new shore side charger. The ProNautic is one that was suggested to me. Hope it works out for you. I'm still looking at what options are out there.

    I find it interesting to figure out these puzzles. Hope the weather stays clear to finish up your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan,

      Have a friend at West Marine... got it for almost half price. Lots of good reviews. I'm learning every inch of the boat and that will serve me if there is ever a situation at sea. But yeah, I have a ten ton jigsaw puzzle.

      Delete
    2. Lucky you.

      I'm leaning more towards getting a solar charger first. Then I can keep batteries charged while still on the trailer (need new batteries too). So much to do, so little time/$$.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I have two 100 Watt SP's w/ Controller...I will mount them after the 12v system is installed... just to the house bank.

      Delete
  2. I happened to find a guy who bought the same charger but changed his mind and listed it for sale. So, I ended up grabbing it at a good discount from Defenders list price.

    I just pulled it out of the box. It's much bigger than I expected, but it does look good. I guess that's the difference between the old 10A charger and a 30A unit.

    It didn't have the manual, but that's easy to find online. This will be a nice upgrade to the boat.

    See you later. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! From everything I've read, it's a good chargers. Let me know how the install goes.

      Delete